[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

G B g_patrickb at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 13:15:48 UTC 2013

If OI is to follow FreeBSD's engineering releases, which I think is optimal, then for example:

OI 152a1 would be qualified as a -current because it is experimental and will be the next major branch.  Or this could be 160a1, but I'm not sure there is any new development in OI that would qualify for such a large change.

OI 151a8 would be qualified as the next -stable (/dev repo) because it is in the 151 branch of releases.  What goes into here is for the next minor release.  FreeBSD 9.x branch gets 9.1, 9.2, etc.

OI 151r1 would be the first -release of the 151a7 -stable.

But is there enough of a development staff to maintain something like this?  Apparently, /experimental, /dev, and the never released foreverware was supposed to be this model, but it fell through.  If there isn't staff available, then maybe /dev should stay that way "forever" and just keep getting bumped to a8, a9, a10, etc., and /hipster can stay out there for those who prefer to track that repo.

I wouldn't see a problem for this aforementioned because as I mentioned, there won't likely be any new technologies added to OI, such as, ZFS encryption that would say "bump me to a 152 release."