[oi-dev] bits from JDS to userland: Re: conflicting files, dependencies and moving spec files to oi-userland

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Tue Jul 16 05:14:07 UTC 2013

Hi Andrzej,

On po, 2013-07-15 at 14:46 +0200, Andrzej Szeszo wrote:
> Hi Milan
>
> I knew similar question will be asked sooner or later.

so lets maintain the list of such packages at least.

> If I had unlimited amount of spare time, I would convert all spec
> files to userland style packages. It is not likely going to happen any
> time soon, unfortunately.
>
> So, to make better use of everyone's free time, I think we don't have
> a choice and will have to integrate JDS packages to oi-userland
> somehow. Perhaps in a similar way as illumos-gate component.

I am not fan of userland build system, because I think its manifests
lacks support for wildcards and maintaining large packages like some in
desktop consolidation is nightmare. But your choice :-)

Anyway, I am open to move many smaller non-desktop related bits to
userland, many libs make no sense in JDS, also Python packages would be
nice to move out of JDS.

> Milan, would you be able to share your JDS build script(s) in case
> someone would like to have a go at creating JDS component?

Here you can find my active copy of consolidation:

http://hg.opensolaris.cz/oi-jds/

If you want to build bits for hipster, you should drop ncurses, Python
and Python-extra, probably also xscreensaver from Makefile. CBE is same
as for SFE. I am ready to answer questions.

FYI, I am just testing newer build of JDS build on top of a8 dev-test.
If it will be OK, I will ping you and you could import it to hipster if
you want. I cannot build on top of hipster for now because I do not have
so quick build machine with hipster installed.

Best regards,

Milan