[oi-dev] Broadcom BCM4312 wireless on OpenIndiana 64-bit

Jean-Pierre jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 17 07:42:11 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,

First, thank you for your detailed report.

Jim Klimov wrote:
> Hello Jean-Pierre,
>
> I tried your fix and it seems mostly correct - I applied the patch to a
> freshly untarred source that you published a couple of days ago, and
> the resulting ndiscvt binary built under OI 151a7 succeeded to make a
> driver.s file. However, it doesn't work fully, so the compilation of
> "ndis" target failed. Build log attached.
>
> There were a few more quirks along the way:
>
> 1) Not all headers are provided in your tarball's include/ subdir (nor
> in ndis-1.2.1, even though they are referenced in the README).
> The 1.2.6 source includes several more headers (like include/sys/*)
> that are needed.

This is intentional. Those files are duplicates of the ones
normally found in /usr/include/sys, so they should not be
needed. According to the include/README they were included
for usage on systems where the /usr/include/sys headers were
not up to date.

IMHO usage of old system headers is calling for problems on
a newer system.

> 2) The Makefile seems like those from other ndis versions I've tried,
> so I don't know why it did not define CFLAGS properly. I changed ":="
> to ":" in those per-target assignments, and things began working.
>
> 3) A flag was needed for ndiscvt to build with "-m64", added to Makefile.
>
> 4) For a parameter-less invokation of gmake to build the project, as
> illustrated by my build log, the "all" target needed to be moved up,
> so that it is first and default.
>
> 5) Reference to "../driver.s" in the "ndis" build had to be fixed to
> current dir.
>
> Fixed Makefile is also attached.

Thank you for the fixes.

> I'll try to rinse and repeat with other bcmwl5 releases for now...

In theory, there should be no change for a 32-bit driver.
Do not use the option -a in ndiscvt for linking a driver
at run time.

Regards

Jean-Pierre