[oi-dev] Broadcom BCM4312 wireless on OpenIndiana 64-bit

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Mar 17 10:06:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-17 08:42, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> First, thank you for your detailed report.

You're welcome, and I'm biasedly interested in success of the project ;)

>> 1) Not all headers are provided in your tarball's include/ subdir (nor
>> in ndis-1.2.1, even though they are referenced in the README).
>> The 1.2.6 source includes several more headers (like include/sys/*)
>> that are needed.
>
> This is intentional. Those files are duplicates of the ones
> normally found in /usr/include/sys, so they should not be
> needed. According to the include/README they were included
> for usage on systems where the /usr/include/sys headers were
> not up to date.
>
> IMHO usage of old system headers is calling for problems on
> a newer system.

Well, it happened that many or all of these headers are absent on an
OI system (even cdefs.h). Possibly, they are available as part of some
other development packages - but my notebook is barely networked for
now when running OI (no wifi, and rge/gani locking up under any load)
so I did not manage to add any of these missing headers as part of
the OS - and can't even say if they are provided as any part of OS.

Note that this is not a barebone installation of OI, but one loaded
with developer packages for building the illumos-gate (kernel) and
similar projects.

So I strongly insist that these "backup" headers should be provided,
at least for Solaris. If you must, you can add CFLAGS="-I/usr/include"
line-starter to the Makefile so that files present on other OSes in
the main include-file repositories would be used instead. But while I
googled for variants of headers, I saw that they are often same-named
but derived from different projects and different in content. So those
files which work (provided by the project) IMHO should be used, unless
they infringe on the OS API and structure formats and with a wrong
header won't really talk to the kernel properly...

//Jim