[oi-dev] Orange Indiana?

James Winter jwn6657 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 14:58:03 UTC 2013

What if we created a "branch" from the kernel that would then allow
portability across all platforms.  Kinda like the Motorola / Android /
Ubuntu project they had a few years back.  In the project they had 1
android phone that when placed on a dock was able to use the android
kernel and run an Ubuntu desktop natively.

Totally agree on the developer / sysadmin perspective that the "daily
driver"
just "needs to work" so I have used Apple in the past.  Fed up with the
walled garden mentality of the iPhone I started to look at the different
brands and marketing approaches that have been used in the past to work
on a project that would be affordable, have a commercial branch for
support and be up to date.  If (any of) the commercial branch(s) create
changes within the code, they would be required to release the code
after a "grace period" (thinking about monthly releases if viable so 32
days for the release of the commercial changes to give the open group ~
a month to add it in for the next release and those that wish to pay for
the support services would have the improvements, patches and releases 2
months in advance if not added already into the open group)

I would be open to discussion about starting a commercial group based on
the Open Indiana / illumos platform.

James R. M. Winter