[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Mon May 13 21:55:17 UTC 2013

garrett.damore at dey-sys.com said:
> So, out of curiosity -- *who* is actively running illumos on 32-bit kit
> today?  I'm not interested in hypothetical uses or kit that is sitting around
> in your garage waiting for you to do something with it
. I'm interested in
> people who would be immediately impacted and severely so if illumos were not
> available on 32-bit CPUs right now.  (To give a counter example: I have a
> 32-bit Atom netbook, that I have OpenIndiana on.   I turn it on once every
> year or so
 if that often
 so I can't seriously claim that I would be
> negatively impacted if illumos were to move to 64-bit only.)

And,

garrett.damore at dey-sys.com said:
> Older hardware must be *really* old.  Over 5 years.  For servers, probably
> over 10 years.  I've thrown away my Pentiums and Pentium IIs.  I suppose
> there could be some Pentium IIIs and IVs out there, or AMD Athlons
> (pre-Athlon64), but they'd all be really really slow by today's standards.
> Do people run illumos on such kit?  I'm highly doubtful, unless that kit is
> around just to answer the question of whether 32-bit kernels still work. :-)

I do.  Been running OI on my Pentium IV 2.8GHz machine since oi148, which
is when I converted it from Solaris-10.  It has 2GB RAM and a couple 1TB
drives in a mirror acting as ZFS backup server for other family members'
Mac's, and also gets used daily as my personal home desktop machine (Firefox,
Thunderbird, OpenOffice, xsane, gimp, exmh/MH, rcs/svn, wireshark, etc).  And,
it runs a Solaris-10 zone brought forward to run two binaries I haven't yet
found the time to port/compile on OI, gnucash and gnome-perfmeter.

But hey, don't let me hold up progress.  I'm used to feeling like the last
person in the world still using a Solaris-based desktop.  If I had the money,
I'd replace it.  I ran Solaris-x86 on my previous home machine for about 10
years before replacing it with the present one, so I guess I'm nearly due.
Spent my entire career working in the non-profit sector, and my Dad had a
rock crusher in his business that was about 90 years old when he retired it,
so I'm pretty much doomed to be a Junk-Whisperer (:-)....

Regards,

Marion