[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 13:05:02 UTC 2013

Hello,

1. Provide an updated kernel userland (i.e. Illumos-gate, rev: 19e11862653b or higher). This allows people that use OI for server-based projects to stay in sync with Illumos development on a much wider scale.

2. Optionally, implement JDS updates already maintained by Milan from http://pkg.opensolaris.cz/osol/en/index.shtml.

That is it. This also keeps most things consistent to other project work dealing with GNU/userland/spec-files-extra testing with <= oi_151a7.

You can do this with very minimal manpower and not need to rebuild components / entire consolidations as much (aka 'project overkill'). You can also
just dump the updated packages in a IPS repo for testing and review.

You don't necessarily have to 'make world' right off the cuff. Start small, then think big.

Fact: Entire distribution projects like Tribblix, Milax/OpenSXCE, EON, and DilOS are maintained by 1-2 people.

Hope that helped,

Ken Mays