[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Thu May 9 13:29:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind that OI has (or at least, had) the largest
install base of any OpenSolaris derived distro, thanks to the fact it is
"upgrade compatible" with OpenSolaris. If you don't maintain that, then
there is no point in continuing with OI - you may as well start with OmniOS.

My personal view was that I wanted OI to be to illumos what Debian was to
Linux - a community maintained general purpose operating system.

If we had managed to kick OI into shape with regular releases and up to
date software, it might have had a bright future. It certainly had plenty
of users.

Alasdair

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 1. Provide an updated kernel userland (i.e. Illumos-gate, rev:
> 19e11862653b or higher). This allows people that use OI for server-based
> projects to stay in sync with Illumos development on a much wider scale.
>
> 2. Optionally, implement JDS updates already maintained by Milan from
> http://pkg.opensolaris.cz/osol/en/index.shtml.
>
> That is it. This also keeps most things consistent to other project work
> dealing with GNU/userland/spec-files-extra testing with <= oi_151a7.
>
> You can do this with very minimal manpower and not need to rebuild
> components / entire consolidations as much (aka 'project overkill'). You
> can also
> just dump the updated packages in a IPS repo for testing and review.
>
> You don't necessarily have to 'make world' right off the cuff. Start
> small, then think big.
>
> Fact: Entire distribution projects like Tribblix, Milax/OpenSXCE, EON, and
> DilOS are maintained by 1-2 people.
>

> Hope that helped,
>
> Ken Mays

> *Sent:* Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:01 AM
> *Subject:* [oi-dev] OI project reboot required
>
> Hi All
>
> (Instead of replying to a message in one of the other threads I thought I
> will create a new one.)
>
> Just wanted to say that I don't see a future for the project in its
> current form. There is simply too many packages and too much baggage for a
> handful of people to look after.
>
> I think the project needs a new vision and a reboot. If you have any ideas
> for the project and can write scripts/makefiles to generate a distro/live
> CDs/etc. - speak up! You don't have to be a leader if you don't want to :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrzej

Alasdair Lumsden

http://www.everycity.co.uk

EveryCity Managed Hosting
Studio 18 Bluelion Place
237 Long Lane, London, SE1 4PU

general: 020 7183 2800
support: 020 7183 2801
email: al at everycity.co.uk

Every City Limited
Registered in England and Wales, No. 5689474 Registered Office: Roper
Yard, Roper Road, Canterbury, CT2 7EX