[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Thu May 9 21:09:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Milan Jurik <milan.jurik at xylab.cz> wrote:

> enjoy it (and my private life also). And to be fair, with total lost of
> interest in desktop systems in Illumos by "core team", I have less and
> less motivation to work on it.

Hi Milan,

good observation.
Sadly I must agree with you: While Oracle  sees Solaris only as wrapper for
their database, the Illumos sponsors only seem to be interested in selling
their x64 JBOD solutions and servers.
Everything else is just "in the way" and doesn't deserve any backing,
especially not financial support.
I experience this all the way along with SPARC, OpenSXCE or whatever is of
little commercial use to these corporations. Forget individuals like myself
or the other hardcore enthusiasts. But especially I'm not sure if this
serves the broader Solaris user base all too well, either.

Fortunately Garrett is more interested in keeping Solaris a multipurpose OS.
But only money pays developers. And so only it is able to make a
substantial change.

Regards,
Martin