[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Thu May 9 23:28:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM, Ian Johnson <ianj0h at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
<snip>

> Oracle seems to be taking good enough care of the Solaris desktop on its
> end. I'm sure it's a peripheral part of their overall effort, but somebody
> at Oracle is keeping hardware support up to par and fixing desktop bugs.
> It's not the aforementioned commercial case and it's clearly not being
> targeted at desktop users, but for someone like me who cares more about ZFS
> and a good terminal emulator than about Netflix, it's perfectly adequate,
> and I don't think it's fair to peg Oracle for neglecting the desktop.

Ok, for x64.
But what about SPARC graphics driver support versus text-only?
All their JDS work that they still seem to keep in sync for both x64 and
SPARC is of little value, if you have no gfx drivers to start up X11. This
unbelievable direction was admittedly already taken before Oracle took
over, with the removal of Xsun in 2009.

What about the drop of sun4u in 2010 starting with Oracle Solaris Express?
sun4u servers and even the U25/U45 workstations were still sold until 2008
and (the last sun4u big iron servers until 2009).

Not to mention Fujitsu, which is still selling its sun4us line.
I know, there is a secret I cannot post in public. But to the general users

Anyways, the 'W' in the original Sun stock ticker symbol "SUNW" stood for
guess what: Workstations.
And then just 1 or 2 years later such complete drops??? Is that fair? If I
was a manager who spent a few hundred thousends or millions in a top 500
enterprise's infrastructure, identify a single reason why I would not
migrate to Linux x64 after such a blow.

BTW: Oracle also removed IA32 support. So if you want to run Solaris 11 on
your PentiumIV Laptop, you cannot do this.
Also consider the removal of all so called "legacy" x86 gfx driver from
Xorg, in 2010.
Only as an example.

With Linux you can still use much of the slightly older hardware out of the
box (without building your own distro).

Just my 5 Kopekes ...

%martin