[oi-dev] Orange Indiana?

Nick Zivkovic zivkovic.nick at gmail.com
Fri May 10 17:07:13 UTC 2013

On May 10, 2013 12:00 PM, "Garrett D'Amore" <garrett.damore at dey-sys.com>
wrote:

> On May 10, 2013, at 9:27 AM, Martin Bochnig <martin at martux.org> wrote:
>
>> The question remains, if it really needs to be IPS based.
>> Or if it can be SVR4 and CSW style pkgutil.net.
>> If you read Garrett's mails he also asked this question from time to
time, just the day before yesterday again.

> *illumos* uses IPS.  That's not likely to change anytime soon, if only
because the pain of changing packaging systems is too high a cost to bear.

> That said, its *easy* to make systems that take IPS metadata, and build
binary packages in various other formats.  Its been done many times -- IPS
to tar, IPS to SVR4, and IPS to .deb. I've even written an image builder
that parses IPS using shell scripts.  Easy peasey.

> So a distro can choose whatever format they like.  I recommend (highly)
continuing to use IPS metadata as the source form, if only because it is
the only packaging format that actually aims to completely describe the
resultant end-system in parseable metadata rather than relying on scripting
languages to help out.  (SMF boot helpers notwithstanding….)  This would
mean that others could use the source formats to deliver whatever binaries
they like.

>> But rather than just getting lost in endless discussions, I rather
continue with the long promised (delayed) x64 version ...
>> Then you can better "feel" if it would be acceptebable to you (SPARC
users can already test, but as far as I understand it, few of you still
have a SPARC).

> Actually I suspect lots of us still have SPARC kit in garages, closets,
etc.  Just most of us long since turned them off due to poor tradeoffs.
 (High noise, high heat, power consumption.  Low performance -- at least
the sparc kit that most of us have laying around.)

>> The src and pkgdefs are here and I'm willing to release everything.
>> Doing it properly by committing change after change into hg can take
decades.
>> So either I just create diffs or upload tar's or create a history-less
hg or what you want.

> Nice work Martin. :-)  I like your style (delivering the work rather than
discussion about the work. :-)

+1

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/MartUX_OpenIndiana+oi_151a+SPARC+LiveDVD