[oi-dev] Orange Indiana?

Chris Jones c/o Unixmen chrisjones at unixmen.com
Fri May 10 22:32:02 UTC 2013

Wow, there is some incredibly interesting reads in the mailing list
lately. I have been following it with great interest.

I have been giving it a lot of thought lately. And especially
OpenIndiana. Let's begin with saying Illumos is great. And OpenIndiana
has the potential of being great. But at the moment, it's clearly stale
and needs some serious action to be revived. I strongly suggest either a
re-branding of the name and a complete re-shuffle of management etc. Or
the alternative is to fork the project (or someone to fork it) and call
it something different. Because at the moment, OpenIndiana is simply
dying a slow and painful death.

Personally, I am seriously considering setting up a git tree locally,
pulling in Illumos and getting to work on something new that could
someday continue on where OpenIndiana failed.

Because it's not only sad to see such good code wasted, but it's
becoming offensive to fans of Illumos.

Regards

Chris Jones