[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sun May 12 20:16:56 UTC 2013

On 05/12/13 07:06 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> We're going to have to support a 32-bit userland for some time to come, unfortunately, but we should no longer make that the default, and we should deliver all of our system utilities in 64-bit only form, IMO; and we could entirely kill off the 32-bit kernel.
>
> Alternatively, if there is sufficient demand, one could imagine a separate architecture for ia32, that is the 32-bit variant port.  That would not need to carry the 64-bit support.   Admittedly going this route reduces the likelihood of keeping certain bits capable of running 32-bit mode (e.g. device drivers), but one would argue that 32 bit systems are unlikely to adapt new devices, etc.  precisely because they are *so* friggin' old.

Not only x86. There is also SPARC with it's 32-bit apps to count for. (I
don't use 32-bit but on Eeepc)
As I understand 32-bit SPARC apps run faster then 64 , unlike on x86
where amd64 apps are faster.
And what about if Illumos starts running/being ported on ARM (64Bit) and
have need of supporting KVMs with tons of 32-bit ARM applications? Will
it also work if 32-bit is ditched right now?
I don't expect 32-bit applications/userland to stop being important so soon.

If multiarch "bitness" priciple is ditched from building Illumos , that
would ditch one thing that is present only on Illumos until now and not
elsewhere.
I guess there is still no 128-bit CPUs? Will multiarch need to be
reinvented when they arrive?