[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat May 18 14:52:01 UTC 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> We're going to have to support a 32-bit userland for some time to
> come, unfortunately, but we should no longer make that the default,
> and we should deliver all of our system utilities in 64-bit only
> form, IMO; and we could entirely kill off the 32-bit kernel.

If 32-bit userland is no longer the default, then GCC should start
producing 64-bit code by default.  Currently GCC does not seem to
support being compiled to produce 64-bit code by default (at least
last I tried doing that).  GNU libtool needs a small patch to compile
64-bit C++ code with working exceptions support.

Probably quite a lot of Solaris-targeted user-space code has issues
when compiled for 64-bit because it was not compiled that way before.

The GCC that comes with 64-bit Linux systems produces 64-bit code by
default, but is capable of compiling 32-bit code.

The OpenIndiana/Illumos folks would need to work with the GCC folks to
make sure that a GCC can be built which produces 64-bit by default.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn