[oi-dev] OI 'hipster' reboot effort

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Sat May 25 13:12:07 UTC 2013

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their help in getting my home
server (a SunFire v20z) updated to hipster.  This thing has been my
router, file, mail, web, media, etc. server since the early days of
OpenSolaris.  I believe the first version I had on it was snv_120 (I had
a sparc machine running OpenSolaris since about snv_60 but it died
several years ago).

I just wanted to bring to your attention one problem I discovered in the
hipster upgrade from 151a7.  My avahi /etc/services/*.service files were
gone in the new BE.  It wasn't a problem as I do a nightly backup so I
pulled it from there.  I'm not sure what package is at fault though I
suspect avahi. ;)

BTW, my setup is a real piece of work.  I have two external disk
cabinets, each of 8 disks connected via a SATA cable from a marvell88sx
controller which drapes out the back.  One of these days I'm going to
get something better to replace it, hopefully before it decides to call
it a day.  If anyone knows of a good, reasonably priced replacement with
2 nics and a bunch of available disk bays let me know.  The box is
usually under light load unless I'm testing my software products on it
so I don't need anything more powerful but more energy efficient would
be a plus.  I wouldn't mind quieter as I've had to relegate this to the
basement because of it's wailing. I've also got an old enterprise 450
with a lot of bays in it which I don't use anymore.  Maybe I could
retrofit this cabinet for this purpose. :D

Gary