[oi-dev] Please update tuntap in SFE

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Nov 3 11:34:30 UTC 2013

Hello all, and probably primarily Milan :)

   The TUNTAP package in the SFE repository markets itself as version
1.3.0, but the loaded module reports that it is 1.1.0. I've fetched
the tuntap/src package, and apparently it includes an older tarball
of the sources (Jul 2011, timeframe long before 1.3.x indeed) which
does not have the TCP watermark fixes of 1.3.0 and later, that boost
performance of the OpenVPN tunnels noticeably.

   The current tarball from project page identifies itself as 1.3.2
with files dated 2013-07-07; can the SFE package be rebuilt with it?
https://github.com/kaizawa/tuntap/tarball/master

   And while we are at it, IMHO the openvpn package should include a
dependency on tuntap, it's neigh useless without this driver? Also,
am I correct to assume that a package should provide its configuration?
Because I don't see any /etc/openvpn on my system (with the EasyRSA
wizards, sample configs, etc.)

Thanks,
//Jim