[oi-dev] Please update tuntap in SFE

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Thu Nov 7 03:46:31 UTC 2013

Hi,

On ne, 2013-11-03 at 12:34 +0100, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Hello all, and probably primarily Milan :)
>
>    The TUNTAP package in the SFE repository markets itself as version
> 1.3.0, but the loaded module reports that it is 1.1.0. I've fetched
> the tuntap/src package, and apparently it includes an older tarball
> of the sources (Jul 2011, timeframe long before 1.3.x indeed) which
> does not have the TCP watermark fixes of 1.3.0 and later, that boost
> performance of the OpenVPN tunnels noticeably.
>
>    The current tarball from project page identifies itself as 1.3.2
> with files dated 2013-07-07; can the SFE package be rebuilt with it?
> https://github.com/kaizawa/tuntap/tarball/master
>
>    And while we are at it, IMHO the openvpn package should include a
> dependency on tuntap, it's neigh useless without this driver? Also,
> am I correct to assume that a package should provide its configuration?
> Because I don't see any /etc/openvpn on my system (with the EasyRSA
> wizards, sample configs, etc.)

I am back from vacation and tuntap package is rebuilt. The problem is
that unversioned automatic tarball generator, it is hard to catch new
versions now. But 1.3.2 is in the repo now.

As for openvpn, it would need some love, I am not using it for long
time. Somebody should look at SFEopenvpn and improve it.

Best regards,

Milan