[oi-dev] PostgreSQL question

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Oct 21 14:42:08 UTC 2013

Hello.
I have a question on PostgreSQL 8.4 packaging.
Currently we have disabled runpath for PG and ship postgres-common
package which contains libpq. But what if we ship several PG versions?
Are we sure in binary compatibility of, let's say, 9.2 libpq  and  8.4
clients?

I just would like to estimate pros and cons of removing
"--disable-rpath" switch.

I'd like to remove it (so that each PostgreSQL binary has correct
embedded rpath) , ship almost empty postgres-common package (containing
only user and group definitions) and make /usr/postgres/{bin,lib},
/usr/bin/psql, /usr/lib/libpq.so mediated links (or perhaps even avoid
shipping /usr/lib/libpq.so by default). For example, currently mysql
doesn't ship libraries in /usr/lib.

What do you think?
--
Best regards,