[oi-dev] Testing Updating packages and hipster-testing repo.

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:47:52 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 15:11, Nikola M. wrote:
> On 10/ 9/13 02:55 PM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>> I'm a user and not a developer, but what you are saying is wrong.
>>
>> The hipster was set up to be the bleeding edge for developers to work.
>
> No, I think I am still right. Things should be tested before putted in a
> public repo.
> People can only be pleased there is someone willing to do testing before
> dropping updates.
>
> Even 'bleeding edge developer' needs guy to test he's stuff before
> everything goes to pieces,
> that current state of OI is.
> Let's connect some dots. We need real bugs to find and that is what
> Hipster rolling release is.
> Not as a bomb shelter release.
>
> I think you can agree with me that next Hipster update should not just
> destroy your HD, won't you?
> Or is it oK with you as a user, not to have any testing crew in OI
> whatsoever?

Everyone releasing stuff to some public repo should
test his bits BEFORE pushing that, set up your
private repo for testing deps etc..
Jonathan is absolutely right, /hipster was set up
as the bleeding edge bomb test area, not as a
separate repo which replaces /dev or even /release.
It was founded mainly to have a testbed for full migration
to gcc, and to allow for a less strict and faster package
development as required for a production quality repo.
No one using /hipster should expect to be safe, I
never use that as my working repo, and I've backups
for any grenade splinters puncturing my drives...