[oi-dev] Studio/GCC c++ libraries

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Oct 10 10:00:07 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-09 19:21, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> I propose putting G++-compiled libraries into /usr/g++ ONLY when we have
> to provide multiple copies of this library. So, when all system is clean
> from CC-compiled bits, we'll rename
> library/g++/X to library/X and forget about /usr/g++ directory (or
> create mediated links, doesn't matter).
>
> Otherwise, when we don't have internal dependencies on CC-compiled
> version I propose to ship G++-compiled version into /usr (so that RPATH
> settings becomes unnecessary).
>
> What do you think?

I think it would complicate things for both developers and,
potentially, users. In case of developers, one would have to
think where the G++-compiled library he's going to use would
be stored, and wonder if that location would suddenly become
invalid in a future update.

Also, for same-named library files, it is possible to get
conflicts i.e. by installing legacy application software from
some SUNW* (or other vendor) packages, which would deliver
Studio-compiled libraries - maybe overwriting or otherwise
"disliking" the pre-existing G++ equivalents.

And I don't think we want to intentionally undermine the
users' ability to run their old application software (which
may likely be *the* purpose of a given server's existence,
outdated or not) hosted on latest illumos to use the latest
and greatest OI.

//Jim