[oi-dev] The state of OI

G B g_patrickb at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 11:55:57 UTC 2014

Presently I'm using SmartOS to serve my domains and use OpenBSD on KVM on SmartOS as my mail server.

Last weekend I installed OI 151a8 since I used it prior to moving to SmartOS and wanted to see what changes had been made, etc, to OI.

OI has always been very stable, but I've never understood the hipster development.  OI always had a development/experimental repo and hipster seems to break things.  Why isn't the effort with hipster being put into 151a8 and future releases?

I've noticed a wiki comment by Gary Mills on March 16, 2014, "The git commit for illumos is dated Fri Sep 6 09:20:56 2013.  That's several months before this version of OI was released.  Is there a problem tracking illumos versions, or did it really take that long?"

That is fundamentally flawed.  What is the point of a 151a9 and other releases if the commit is months older than the current illumos-gate?