[oi-dev] smtp-notify with postfix or other MTA

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Fri Aug 22 16:33:44 UTC 2014

On my machines I use postfix and qmail as MTAs.  Both provide
/usr/lib/sendmail to make them sendmail compatible however, smtp-notify
requires the sendmail package

I've got the sendmail service disabled and /usr/lib/sendmail is the
appropriate replacement.  The problem is that, whenever sendmail is
updated, it overwrites /usr/lib/sendmail which I then have to replace
manually.

I'd like to completely remove the sendmail package so this doesn't
happen, but I don't want to remove smtp-notify.  There is no "force
uninstall" that I can see to do this or a way to say that postfix, etc.
is equivalent to sendmail.  Is there a better way to get notified of
failures so I don't use smtp-notify?

Any suggestions?

Gary