[oi-dev] ​Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ?

seth Nimbosa darth.serious at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 05:15:04 UTC 2014

Hi Aurélien,

Thanks for the initiative on updating Qt for hipster, as we had a stale
​Q
t 4.7.4 on oi151a9 /dev distro.  However, I vote up
the idea of
Andreas Wacknitz to target higher / newer versions of Qt 5.x for general
use, as it would need less maintaining in the future.  Is there any
particular hurdle that would make this more difficult than porting Qt
4.8.6?  Also, may we know what "scientific software" depends on having Qt,
and does it need version 4.8.6 in particular?

I am looking into bringing newer Qt packages for both /dev and /hipster.
Please keep us updated, Thanks!

- Seth Nimbosa

​________________________​

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ? (Aur?lien Larcher)
>    2.
> ​​
> Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ? (Alexander Pyhalov)
>    3. Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ? (Aur?lien Larcher)
>    4. Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ? (Udo Grabowski (IMK))
>    5. Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ? (Andreas Wacknitz)
>
> ---------
> From: "Aurélien Larcher" <
> ​​
> aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>
> To: Alexander Pyhalov <
> ​​
> alp at rsu.ru>
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 15:42:50 +0200
> Subject: Re: [oi-dev] Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ?
> Hi Alexander,
> I would basically update Qt following the requirements of the scientific
> software I use, so that would be once a year or so.
> I cannot promise to update every minor.
>
> Regarding the size, the total is 486M, but as you see:
>
> larcher at na75:> du -sh /opt/qt/4.8.6/*
> 43M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/bin
> 938K    /opt/qt/4.8.6/imports
> 14M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/include
> 109M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/lib
> 319M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/share
> 1.8M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/tests
>
> The documentation is 308M.
>
> I can look at splitting Qt to different packages but any help would be
> appreciated.
> Best regards
>
> Aurelien
>

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:
>
>> On 08/22/2014 17:13, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> in order to update
>>> ​​
>>> Paraview on my machine I just built and installed Qt
>>> 4.8.6 (32bit version built with g++ with some help from SFE patches) so I
>>> am wondering if there is any interest in having Qt in hipster ?
>>> If it is the case I can take some time to add a component.
>>> Best regards
>>>

>> Hi.
>> It's interesting as more and more software is using qt. For example, we
>> can't update fbreader because it requires qt. I've recently stepped on
>> something else, but don't remember. If you volunteer to update it
>> periodically, I'd prefer to have it. If not, I'm not sure that it's
>> necessary. Another question is how large is qt? If it's large (>40-50MB) -
>> could it be splitted into several packages so that we shouldn't fetch too
>> much data to satisfy some odd dependencies?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Alexander Pyhalov,
>> system administrator of Computer Center of Southern Federal University
>>

> ​​

> LARCHER Aurélien          | KTH, School of Computer Science and
> Communication
> [...]

* Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work*
*and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -*

*in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car,and
the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.  *

  - Ellen Goodman