[oi-dev] LD relocation error and GCC visibility

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 08:15:16 UTC 2014

Hi,
for what it is worth, just a note as I encountered relocation errors while
compiling VTK and Paraview seemingly due to linking shared libraries to
non-PIC static libraries.

- All the objects had been compiled with -fPIC.
- Passing -mimpure-text to GCC to ignore the linker error (removing -z text
from the flags passed to ld) leads to immediate segmentation fault.
- Disabling visibility allowed to build a functioning library.

Text relocation remains                     referenced
    against symbol            offset    in file
std::_Rb_tree<vtkVariant, std::pair<vtkVariant const, int>,
std::_Select1st<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >, std::less<vtkVariant>,
std::allocator<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >
>::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >*)
0x3bf3        CMakeFiles/vtkInfovisCore.dir/vtkReduceTable.cxx.o
std::_Rb_tree<vtkVariant, std::pair<vtkVariant const, int>,
std::_Select1st<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >, std::less<vtkVariant>,
std::allocator<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >
>::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<std::pair<vtkVariant const, int> >*)
0x428e        CMakeFiles/vtkInfovisCore.dir/vtkReduceTable.cxx.o
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections

Is GCC visibility known to be broken with Solaris/Illumos ld ?
Best regards,

Aurelien

LARCHER Aurélien          | KTH, School of Computer Science and
Communication
Work: +46 (0) 8 790 71 42 | Lindstedtsvägen 5, Plan 4, 100 44 Stockholm,
SWEDEN