[oi-dev] ​Re: Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 13:33:10 UTC 2014

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the initiative on updating Qt for hipster, as we had a stale
> ​Q
> t 4.7.4 on oi151a9 /dev distro.  However, I vote up
> the idea of
> Andreas Wacknitz to target higher / newer versions of Qt 5.x for general
> use, as it would need less maintaining in the future.  Is there any
> particular hurdle that would make this more difficult than porting Qt 4.8.6?

Considering the time I had during the week end I could not go far in
building 5.3.1: first it does not accept the system libxcb library and then
it complains about the missing dependency on libxkbcommon.

>  Also, may we know what "scientific software" depends on having Qt, and
> does it need version 4.8.6 in particular?

Paraview mainly: the 3.14.1 version works well whereas the 4.1 series core
dumps for a reason that I have not been able to understand yet.
Also I am stuck with some GCC visibility issues for 4.1...
Quite many applications still rely on Qt 4.8.
So even if supporting Qt 5.x is a long term goal, in the mean time having
Qt 4.8 would allow me (and others) to work in the coming months. :)

Also maybe we can provide qt4 and qt5 packages to ease the transition in
the future.
I suggest we iterate with pragmatism, given the resources (mainly time)
that one can invest.

Best regards

Aurelien