[oi-dev] Resignation

Thomas Wagner tom-oi-dev at tom.bn-ulm.de
Mon Aug 11 19:03:21 UTC 2014

Hi Milan,

I'm sorry to hear that. I can understand your reasons
a little bit and would like to take the chance to say
a BIG THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for your enourmous efforts
you'd put into that projects in the past years.

I can only speak for the SFE project (fully independent
of the OpenIndiana project) and can say, SFE would not
be what it is now without your very large contribution.
Endless weekends, evening, nights must have been spent
on SFE instead of your friends and family.

I believe the same is true for OI and its sub-projects.

A word about SFE:
Just to take the chance, SFE itself is still spanning
accross the distributions. I hope SFE stays up for a lot
of more years and provide valuable build recipes for
Solaris, OI (hopefully including hipster), OmniOS (early)
and who knows what else comes up.
I personally will try hard to keep SFE platform independent.
(so much loved pnm_macros, right ;)

My optinon, one word to the recent development in OI (last year?):
The next big task in SFE is indeed managing the changes
from oi151a8 to hipster, as things start to overlap/duplicate
a little. But I don't want to complain, more speak out
that a distro in my old conservative view should build up
a solid and even more rock solid, innovatively evolving, but
ever still compatible foundation.
I'll find a way to manage the changes, but it adds extra work
on the SFE side.

Generally:
I'm not much into discussion, as I spend my time mostly
to be productive in making spec files for SFE. But if
there are short questions, I'm happy to answer then.

My recommendation to the OI project is:
Keep the movation high but make ever wise and well thought
strategic decissions. Make the decisisons in a direction
so that at least a large number of the involved developers
and power users can tell them right.

Thanks Milan, I hope we'll meet one day in person!

Best Regards,
Thomas