[oi-dev] Any interest for Qt 4.8.6 in hipster ?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 13:42:50 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander,
I would basically update Qt following the requirements of the scientific
software I use, so that would be once a year or so.
I cannot promise to update every minor.

Regarding the size, the total is 486M, but as you see:

larcher at na75:> du -sh /opt/qt/4.8.6/*
43M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/bin
938K    /opt/qt/4.8.6/imports
14M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/include
109M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/lib
319M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/share
1.8M    /opt/qt/4.8.6/tests

The documentation is 308M.

I can look at splitting Qt to different packages but any help would be
appreciated.
Best regards

Aurelien

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:

> On 08/22/2014 17:13, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> in order to update Paraview on my machine I just built and installed Qt
>> 4.8.6 (32bit version built with g++ with some help from SFE patches) so I
>> am wondering if there is any interest in having Qt in hipster ?
>> If it is the case I can take some time to add a component.
>> Best regards
>>

> Hi.
> It's interesting as more and more software is using qt. For example, we
> can't update fbreader because it requires qt. I've recently stepped on
> something else, but don't remember. If you volunteer to update it
> periodically, I'd prefer to have it. If not, I'm not sure that it's
> necessary. Another question is how large is qt? If it's large (>40-50MB) -
> could it be splitted into several packages so that we shouldn't fetch too
> much data to satisfy some odd dependencies?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Computer Center of Southern Federal University

LARCHER Aurélien          | KTH, School of Computer Science and
Communication
Work: +46 (0) 8 790 71 42 | Lindstedtsvägen 5, Plan 4, 100 44 Stockholm,
SWEDEN