[oi-dev] Miass OpenSolaris User Group

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:55:03 UTC 2014

On 12/ 1/14 01:13 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Nikola M. <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/14 11:26 AM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
>>> please be aware that "OpenSolaris" is a trademark of Oracle, and not
>>> freely available, and that Oracle have almost bottomless pockets when
>>> protecting their trademarks.
>> Seems like Opensolaris brand provisions are still enabled and can not be
>> bring down and that User group is also about Oralce products and those
>> based on illumos, that are free software.
>>
>> Actually if Opensolaris governing board haven't decide to dismantle
>> Opensolaris distribution, it would continue to live.
> The government board did resign, as it was impossible for the government board
> to even get in touch with authorized Sun exployees anymore - not to mention the
> impossibility to have decisions anymore.
Thank you for your insights, but I have to asksome historical questions:

Why at that time, OSOL governing board did not continue the Opensolaris
distribution under new name, using existing infrastructure, code and
manpower outside Sun and/or making new infrastructure and distribution
under new name? Or under same name etc.

Why it was not possible to have decisions? Is it because decisions were
dependent on Sun Employees that were not being able to be contacted anymore?