[oi-dev] Miass OpenSolaris User Group

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Dec 1 14:06:35 UTC 2014

Nikola M. <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Actually if Opensolaris governing board haven't decide to dismantle
> >> Opensolaris distribution, it would continue to live.
> > The government board did resign, as it was impossible for the government board
> > to even get in touch with authorized Sun exployees anymore - not to mention the
> > impossibility to have decisions anymore.
> Thank you for your insights, but I have to asksome historical questions:
>
> Why at that time, OSOL governing board did not continue the Opensolaris
> distribution under new name, using existing infrastructure, code and

In late 2004 or early 2005, there was a community decision that there can never
be a distro with the name "OpenSolaris". This is because OpenSolaris is just an
umbrella and because e.g. there is no distro called "Linux" either.

Sun did introduce the name "OpenSolaris" for the distro called "Indiana"
against the votes from the community and there was a heavy discussion on the
related mailing lists when Sun started to use OpenSolaris for Indiana.

Note that Indiana was on the domain "opensolaris.com" and not on
"opensolaris.org".

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin