[oi-dev] Miass OpenSolaris User Group

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 13:52:09 UTC 2014

On 12/ 1/14 04:52 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/ 1/14 06:06 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>>> In late 2004 or early 2005, there was a community decision that there can never
>>> be a distro with the name "OpenSolaris".
>> There was no community framework to make such a decision then - just a limited
>> number of people in the pilot program until we went public in June 2005.
> OK, so let's say there was a aggreement in the community that was in the pilot.
Ok,
So people that are not from Sun and community members, and that were on
the Governing board of Opensolaris, did not actually want for
Opensolaris as distribution of that name (and other things that made it
existing) to even exist?

So dissolving governing board and stopping Opensolaris was what they
wanted all the time, just it was needed for Sun employees to disappear?
I would like to understand why distribution that was already in some
snv_134 or something, after 111b/2009.06 release, could not just be
renamed and moved on like nothing happened?

OpenIndiana came after that and I don't see too much of people
previously inside Opensolaris community stepping up, _except_ those
great people that actually made Openindiana possible.

If Opensolaris/Openindiana (that gave birth to S11) technical concept is
not under likings of "hard core" old community members that started it all,
then what kind of illumos distribution actually is?