[oi-dev] Miass OpenSolaris User Group

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Dec 2 14:08:32 UTC 2014

Nikola M. <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/ 1/14 04:52 PM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> >> There was no community framework to make such a decision then - just a limited
> >> number of people in the pilot program until we went public in June 2005.
> > OK, so let's say there was a aggreement in the community that was in the pilot.
> Ok,
> So people that are not from Sun and community members, and that were on
> the Governing board of Opensolaris, did not actually want for
> Opensolaris as distribution of that name (and other things that made it
> existing) to even exist?
>
> So dissolving governing board and stopping Opensolaris was what they
> wanted all the time, just it was needed for Sun employees to disappear?
> I would like to understand why distribution that was already in some
> snv_134 or something, after 111b/2009.06 release, could not just be
> renamed and moved on like nothing happened?

Dissolving the governing board did not cause the OpenSolaris project to be
abandoned. When the OGB started to plan that, Sun did already plan to stop
OpenSolaris and prepared the end by stopping the communication.

http://www.cnet.com/news/lacking-oracle-help-opensolaris-group-disbands/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_acquisition_by_Oracle

Note that the last putback into the OpenSolaris repository was:

	Wed Aug 18 15:52:48 2010 -0600

and the dissolving of the governing board happened on August 23.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin