[oi-dev] Dev environment

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Dec 19 07:24:33 UTC 2014

On 12/19/2014 08:12, Robert Fleming wrote:
> I'm thinking I'd like to do some dev. Does someone have time to go over a setup, and have some projects to work on.

Hello.
We have instructions how to setup development environment on the wiki:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland . They can be a
bit out-of-date (at least it's not possible to update from /dev to
/hipster now), so you have to install system from OI Hipster ISO:
http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/.

The list of TODO projects is available here -
http://wiki.openindiana.org/display/oi/TODO+list

You can choose software you are interested in and help enhance / update
it (programming languages, web servers, what else). For example, I'd
gladly see php 5.6 in userland. Or hhvm.

The other extensive work is related to porting software from legacy
consolidations to oi-userland. If you are interested in desktop systems,
you can look at XNV. It's a vast job. If you are interested in this, I
can share some components which I worked on earlier. Also I see that
some Xorg components appear in ec-userland  -
https://github.com/everycity/ec-userland/ .
Now I'm slowly porting JDS software to oi-userland aiming to update gtk.
It's necessary if we want to move to Gnome 2.32. But I'm currently short
of time, so this task can take a while.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,