[oi-dev] Meaning of Hipster in universe of OI

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 10:32:20 UTC 2014

On 12/19/14 08:24 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 12/19/2014 08:12, Robert Fleming wrote:
>> I'm thinking I'd like to do some dev. Does someone have time to go
>> over a setup, and have some projects to work on.
Maybe you could start with installing /dev instead and work out on
problem of updating from /dev to Hipster, if needed..
Furthermore, latest OI that installed on ZPOOL version 28 as default is
Oi /dev 151a3 and can be updated to later releases, one by one.
Reason might be that ZFS version 28 is latest that also Solaris11
understands, after that OpenZFS uses "Feature flags".

I myself have both OI /dev and Hipster on same RPOOL but I updated long
time ago (from 151a7 I think - latest great OI release I think) but no
one was thinking of keeping state of Hipster at that moment to be able
to update...
I have some Hipster around, but since it did not have numbered release
numbers I am under impression that if I thry to update now things would
not go (Breakages inside Hipster itself for updates)
Hipster was fine to me when it was "something new" when /dev stalled
more then a year ago. Now it's not funny anymore to keep it managed like
this in this state like it was on day 1.

> Hello.
> We have instructions how to setup development environment on the wiki:
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland . They can be
> a bit out-of-date (at least it's not possible to update from /dev to
> /hipster now), so you have to install system from OI Hipster ISO:
> http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/.

What is the future of Hipster? if in any incarnation over it's existence
it was not stable to use in any production use and now breaks
compatibility with Solaris 10 binaries as I understand with libraries
changes?

I understand testing should be done before pushing to repository where
everyone updates to.

Further, If everything is just fine with Hipster (that isn't because it
is not and it aquired many new bugs over time that never got fixed
before moving on) what is goal of Hipster?

Solaris is known for it's backward compatibility and stable ABI.
If Hipster is breaking ABI where is it heading to?
Being rolling release forever is not Solaris-like production model as I
understand
and not having updated /dev releases is un-Opensolaris way.

To this moment all I see is, there is shortage of hands to develop OI
/dev and Hipster
but I see no organizational structure where people are able to connect to
and more important not clear goals what is supposed to be achieved.

> The other extensive work is related to porting software from legacy
> consolidations to oi-userland.
I don't remember anyone explained why it is better to Not have code
consolidations,
except ease of inclusion of changes, without testing, to live repo.

It is maybe great for testing before release but since OI Hipster
releases broke connection with anything before it (can't upgrade from
/dev, no point updates in Hipster but broken snapshots) and don't
provide clear goal for it's future.

It is hard for me to understand why new people should not install /dev
Openindiana on fresh machine?

Maybe Hipster could have separate install procedure to live beside /dev
on same RPOOL, that would be much more clean way for separate
distribution like Hipster to do whatever it is intended to go to.