[oi-dev] SFE repository an g++ libraries in /hipster

Alex Viskovatoff viskovatoff at imap.cc
Wed Feb 5 19:53:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

Sorry for coming to this discussion late.

On 10/14/13 11:13 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
> I'd like to know your opinion on the following issue. As we are moving
> to gcc-only (or at least gcc-mostly) build in /hipster we have a problem
> of providing both versions of Sun CC-compiled C++ libraries and GCC
> compiled C++ libraries. The decision is to be made what to do with this
> issue in the future. But for the now I'm starting to deliver
> G++-compiled libraries in /usr/g++. Evidently, it sometimes breaks SFE.
>
> For example, with recent push of gcc-compiled icu we delivered ICU
> 4.6.1, while SFE boost package expects to find icu 4.8.1 under /usr/g++.
>
> We need some coordination (for example, on library versions), or perhaps
> a separate build of SFE on /hipster. What do you think on the subject?

I am waiting to get a build zone and public repo for SFE builds catering
specifically to hipster. There is no question that hipster needs its own
build of SFE packages. What remains to be seen is how heavily SFE specs
themselves need to be modified to work with hipster. Ideally, as little
as possible.

hipster/ is supposed to be bleeding edge. so why does it sometimes
deliver packages at versions older than SFE does? icu is a case in
point. if you see that SFE is at icu 4.8.1, why don't you just make
hipster's icu at the same (or a higher) version? Then nothing would be
broken. SFE's boost would simply use hipster's icu lib for its hipster
build in that case.

Ruby is another case in point. Just a few days ago, I had to update
SFE's spec for Ruby and build it myself, because hipster delivers a
version of Ruby that is too old for something I was building. Why isn't
hipster at the current stable release of Ruby, which is 2.1.0?

In general, SFE IPS builds for hipster (as well as the SFE specs
themselves) should accommodate to new packages that are delivered by
hipster which SFE previously delivered itself. (In such cases, as I
said, it is preferable that hipster not deliver earlier versions of the
same package as SFE delivers unless there is a good reason to deliver an
old version.) So, if hipster one day delivers Boost, then SFE will
accommodate itself to that. If OI/hipster for some reason decides to
deliver an older version of Boost than SFE has been providing and
building for some time however, problems may arise.

Best regards,

Alex