[oi-dev] SFE repository an g++ libraries in /hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Feb 6 06:59:52 UTC 2014

Hello.

On 02/05/2014 23:53, Alex Viskovatoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for coming to this discussion late.
>

> hipster/ is supposed to be bleeding edge. so why does it sometimes
> deliver packages at versions older than SFE does? icu is a case in
> point. if you see that SFE is at icu 4.8.1, why don't you just make
> hipster's icu at the same (or a higher) version? Then nothing would be
> broken. SFE's boost would simply use hipster's icu lib for its hipster
> build in that case.

Perhaps it would be better to base icu component on SFE spec, however it
is based on version found in
https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/g11n/g11n-spec . I don't
understand this stuff enough to say if Oracle patches are necessary in
later icu versions. They didn't apply, so I went with 4.6. One issue I
remember - svn version provides some files which should be regenerated
by hands when using tarball. The only dependency of this library is php
intl extension, so feel free to update it in oi-userland.

> Ruby is another case in point. Just a few days ago, I had to update
> SFE's spec for Ruby and build it myself, because hipster delivers a
> version of Ruby that is too old for something I was building. Why isn't
> hipster at the current stable release of Ruby, which is 2.1.0?

The answer is evident - nobody cared about Ruby enough to update it.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,