[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

seth Nimbosa darth.serious at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:30:26 UTC 2014

Basically, we need to take one step back so we can move forward.

the OpenSolaris community as it is has always been small from the start
after Sun was swallowed by Oracle and all official development ceased

we had to start over with illumos and OpenIndiana,
however, there has not been much collaboration outside of Nexenta and
Joyent internal developement, and there is a general feeling of a hack and
slash attitude within illumos and OpenIndiana circles, not very inviting to
contributors as significant UNIX code-base inherited from Sun's Solaris
core is shrinking while the bloat and half-baked code is growing

I think people behind TribbliX, XStreamOS, DilOS, napp-it and OmniOS should
get together with Schillix and OpenSXCE (previously MartUX) in re-creating
the original code-base with significant code improvement plugged in, if
any..

another concern is the 3-Gigabyte download for live media!!!  i remember
there was a time when there was a light OpenSolaris LiveCD based on build
134 (700++ MB), which was easy to try and actually instantly install, from
which additional packages can be added to build the system that's right for
you.. even with fast internet connection a 3-GB media is too hard to
swallow and a high barrier for would-be developers and casual slackers
trying a modern UNIX-based system

I haven't kept track how build 134 metamorphosed into build 151a9 today,
since 2011 I was busy in developing Network Technologies and integrated
solutions through Unified Communications and virtualization working with
Cisco.com after my failed attempt at volunteering at Sun just when Oracle
bought it, but i think it is never too late to take one step back and pick
the pieces of our OpenSolaris community, as the only open source UNIX
community

a large-scale community collaboration of all OpenSolaris-based distribution
is needed, and I am willing to do my part in bringing this together,
hopefully people from the illumos Foundation can help, but the community
must move forward with or without their stewardship, what we need is a
massive de-duplication of efforts in our community focused on code-based
development not dictated by corporate pragmatic decisions alone..

we can start with a BitBucket or a GitHub repository to rehabilitate the
OpenSolaris code and compile all significant improvements and replacements
with minimal code-slashing and considerable code-review, this can be done
incrementally

Sincerely yours,

Seth Nimbosa, your Brother and Comrade-in-Arms
​
http://twitter.com/nimbosa
FB.com/nimbosa

 ---------- ** * ** ----------

* Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work*
*and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -*

*in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car,
and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.  *

  - Ellen Goodman

*Joerg Schilling*
​​
Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
<oi-dev%40openindiana.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Boi-dev%5D%20oi_151a9%20roadmap%20%26%20planning&In-Reply-To=%3C5225a7ae.5JrfSQc1XVbnjQxv%25Joerg.Schilling%40fokus.fraunhofer.de%3E>
*Tue Sep 3 09:11:10 UTC 2013*

planning<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/002660.html>
planning<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/002661.html>
]<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/date.html#2659>
    [ thread ]<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/thread.html#2659>
    [ subject ]<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/subject.html#2659>
    [ author ]<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2013-September/author.html#2659>

>* > Since oi_151a9 was scheduled for release this month, some initial
*
Could someone explain why you udr 151a9?

-	It is not based on onnv_151

-	It is most likely not the 151th release for OI

-	It is based like others on onnv_147+

>* > thoughts:
*>* >
*>* > 1. bump illumos to b02c4a353739
*>* > 2. bump oi-jds to ee8cf112eec2 (hg.opensolaris.cz/oi-jds
<http://hg.opensolaris.cz/oi-jds>)
*>* > 3. Nvidia 304.108 video driver
*>* > 4. Xnv_161 integration (Alasdair ?)
*>* >
*>* Can we add USB 3.0 support, and SATA 6GB support? Please?
*
I am not sure whether you are aware about the fact that OpenSoaris has few
contributors and that Illumos is trying to frighten developers by not being a
sure partner you may trust.

Promising to include software causes people to spend time in creating a webrev,
but later not doing a code review causes at least this time to be wasted. This
finally ends up in not fulfilling a commitment and is toxic for Illumos
credibility.

Adding code with known bugs to Illumos even though it did not pass a
codereview, just because the code is from an animal that is more equal
than others destroys credibility.

Illumos also drives in a direction that is not what I understand by going the
Solaris (UNIX) way. Code is removed just because it is not of interest for
Nexenta or Joyent, continuing this way will at some time lower attractivity.
Ripping off troff from man(1) because "col -x" (as a result from a buggy
localization software in Illumos) does not pass japanese characters is a
strange response to a problem.

While points 1..4 are decisions that can be made by OI, your proposal is not
leading to a decision that could be made by OI.

You may hope that this at some time is handled by Illumos, but Illumos does not
cover all the skills that are needed. So my question to other OI members is:
are you 100% bound to Illumos?

I am currently underway with finishing the package collection for SchilliX
based on network loadable Svr4 packages that I made basically working in
February 2011. Now that SchilliX collects helpers, we expect to be in a state
to deliver a full desktop in a few weeks. After that, I will start to work
again on the OpenSolaris code base. As mentioned, a toxic person prevents
Illumos from being interested in collaboration, so we either end up in a
tattered OpenSolaris landscape or we find a way to pool changesets and let
distros decide how to compose their OpenSolaris base.

Are you interested in collaboration?
If yes, do you have an idea how this could be done?

Jörg

--
 EMail:
​​
joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de
D-13353 Berlin

​​
js at cs.tu-berlin.de <http://openindiana.org/mailman/listinfo/oi-dev>
               (uni)
       joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de

​​
http://schily.blogspot.com/

Gary Driggs <gdri... at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> It seems that we need to set up some kind of register about who is working
> on what for OpenSolaris
>

> Something more detailed than this?
> http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/Distributions

 Sure!

This also does not seem to be correct, as it lists OnmiOS as an Illumos
based
distro, but is this was true, Omnios did just have a broken od
implementation
in /usr/bin instead of no od implementation.

As mentioned several times before, in November 2010, Illumos decided not to
collaborate with other developers and in addition ignored a rejected code
review for a broken od implementation that in turn was added to the illumos
code base despite a known list of several bugs.

For this reasons, illumos failed to become the community OpenSolaris
successor.
There are several similar disjunct continuation projects with different
goals.

SchilliX-ON exists since Garret DAmore made obvious that he is not willing
collaborate and after he added his buggy od.c sourcecode. SchilliX-ON among
others supports compressed SVr4 packages that can be directly installed
from
the network for Intel and Sparc since February 2011.

What OpenSolaris needs is a list of development activities that would allow
people to know what other people do and what probably could be taken from
others.

​​
Jörg

--