[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Vincent Torri vincent.torri at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 09:52:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM, seth Nimbosa <darth.serious at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, we need to take one step back so we can move forward.
>
> the OpenSolaris community as it is has always been small from the start
> after Sun was swallowed by Oracle and all official development ceased
>
> we had to start over with illumos and OpenIndiana,
> however, there has not been much collaboration outside of Nexenta and Joyent
> internal developement, and there is a general feeling of a hack and slash
> attitude within illumos and OpenIndiana circles, not very inviting to
> contributors as significant UNIX code-base inherited from Sun's Solaris core
> is shrinking while the bloat and half-baked code is growing

imho, if you want to attract people, the OI (and other distributions)
should do some advertising. That is, when a release is done, posting
news on

 * phoronix
 * osnews
 * slashdot
 * reddit
 * lwn.net
 * linuxfr.org (french website)
 * others i don't know

etc... I know that some of those site are first dedicated to linux but
there have been several posts there for other OS too.

I know that it is boring (i myself was doing that for a library), but
it's a very good way to attract users or developpers.

best regards

Vincent Torri