[oi-dev] oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 10:07:39 UTC 2014

*Joerg Schilling* wrote:

"I am not sure whether you are aware about the fact that OpenSoaris has few
contributors and that Illumos is trying to frighten developers by not being
a sure partner you may trust"

Please take that with a pinch of salt. Joerg is an experienced and prolific
programmer, who has done great things and is very supportive of Solaris ...
but he doesn't like Garrett, and because he sees the Illumos fork as a
project implemented by Garrett, doesn't play well with Illumos.

He has been asked to contribute on many occasions, and his response isn't
to create diff/patches it is to say "you should just use my version of the
program" ... not even explaining the differences or why you should use his
program.

because we fail to use his program, he asserts that we don't accept
contributions and therefore are not a trustable community.

Schillix has 2 contributors, neither of which is paid to work on the
project so cannot devote much time to it.

OpenSXCE has 1 contributor, and because of the way that that project is set
up, it can only have 1 contributor, and as much love and respect as we can
give from this community to Martin, he needs to go and get a job and start
eating.

PS. if you go to Schillix you will find that your ZFS is no longer
compatible with either Illumos/*BSD/Linux or even with Oracle Solaris for
that matter, both have major enhancements, although both differ slightly.

Just my 2cents.

Jon