[oi-dev] [discuss] Re: oi_151a9 roadmap & planning

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Feb 12 13:04:41 UTC 2014

seth Nimbosa <darth.serious at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically, we need to take one step back so we can move forward.
>
> the OpenSolaris community as it is has always been small from the start
> after Sun was swallowed by Oracle and all official development ceased
>
> we had to start over with illumos and OpenIndiana,
> however, there has not been much collaboration outside of Nexenta and
> Joyent internal developement, and there is a general feeling of a hack and
> slash attitude within illumos and OpenIndiana circles, not very inviting to
> contributors as significant UNIX code-base inherited from Sun's Solaris
> core is shrinking while the bloat and half-baked code is growing
>
> I think people behind TribbliX, XStreamOS, DilOS, napp-it and OmniOS should
> get together with Schillix and OpenSXCE (previously MartUX) in re-creating
> the original code-base with significant code improvement plugged in, if
> any..

I tried to initiate such a collaboration, but there was no feedback so far.

Note that for being able to have a collaboration with OpenSolaris, there is a
need to understand what constraints have to be respected. A source setup that
does not include Svr4 package meta data is e.g. not useful as a base for
colaboration.

In order to come to a collaboration, I would like to know whether there are
people that would be willing to respect other projects constraints. If this is
impossible, we will not be able to collaborate.

Jörg