[oi-dev] [developer] GSoC? Decision time....

Albert Lee trisk at nexenta.com
Fri Feb 14 16:29:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM, Keith Wesolowski
<keith.wesolowski at joyent.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:52:53PM -0500, Gordon Ross wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the GSoC program
>> organizers have in the past expressed a prefer that related projects
>> "band together" with shared applications.  That makes less work for
>> them.
>>
>> I recommend we tell GSoC in our application that we will entertain
>> projects using any and all illumos distributions.
>> OpenIndiana is one of several good choices.  I see no harm in
>> mentioning their inclusion.
>> Would you be more comfortable if we mentioned other open-source distros as well?
>
> I'll turn that on its head: would everyone else be comfortable with the
> addition of SmartOS-specific work to the projects list?  I certainly
> would not be, if I were a partisan of a different distribution.  And I
> don't even consider most of the projects the OI folks have listed as
> being in any way related to the development of an operating system (nor
> would many SmartOS-specific projects I might come up with).

I think this view is overly narrow of related communities. A stated
goal is to attract high quality active contributors. My criteria for
involvement in GSoC would be not be my perception of merit of the
project per se, but whether the project allows people to demonstrate
skills that we do value, and the availability and interest of mentors
with established technical credentials.

-Albert

--
Albert Lee <trisk at nexenta.com>