[oi-dev] [discuss] Re: basis for better collaboration on illumos and OpenIndiana: small circle, Big circle

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Thu Feb 20 20:32:57 UTC 2014

See this: http://www.slideshare.net/vishnu/how-to-protect-yourhow-to-protect-your-open-source-project-from-poisonous-people

illumos itself is a *meritocracy*, which means leadership is shared by those who are doing the most for its benefit.  Folks who want to have more say in where we’re going should start by proving their merit (ideally with code) rather than just whinging.

For those of you who are unhappy with the decisions we have made for illumos (and there have been very very few “decisions”), please consider whether you are participating in our meritocracy.  In a collaborative environment, everyone is working for the common good.  Collaboration is *not* throwing stones at the work of others, or working against the common good.  Sadly, at least some of the individuals that have been participating in this thread have acted in ways that fit this pattern — i.e. they would be considered “poisonous people” per the slideware above.

I’m trying *very* hard not to name names, and not to include extensive evidence of actively harmful activities that some of these folks are *still* engaging in — working very hard against some of the most valuable (in terms of positive contribution) people in our community.  You can only begin to imagine how *angry* threads like this one makes me, if you had knowledge of these subversive and destructive activities.

So, please, go take this conversation somewhere else.  It isn’t about illumos.  It might be about OpenSolaris — but I think Oracle will have some things to say about that (OpenSolaris is dead, did you hear?), but it absolutely *isn’t* about illumos, and it doesn’t belong here.

--
Garrett D'Amore
Sent with Airmail