[oi-dev] [discuss] Re: basis for better collaboration on illumos and OpenIndiana: small circle, Big circle

seth Nimbosa darth.serious at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 20:33:48 UTC 2014

Quick Question: can anyone tell me about illumos integration of system
tools/utilities from AT&T AST and/or the Heirloom Project?  Or are there
any licensing concerns about that?  Thanks!

This week I have been going around the University of the Philippines to see
if they can lend idle boxes and interested students to try and hack illumOS
and these OpenSolaris-based distros for different use-cases.  There is much
interest among the faculty, and i will go try other schools as well, some
of them are not even aware that OpenSolaris _itself_ has been long
defunct.  I really want to generate interest in THIS side of Unix.

Garrett and Alasdair, I have taken note of your pointers, thank you!
I wasn't trying to feed trolls or any other creature for that matter, aside
from humans.

I was not expecting the bitterness and frustration coming from people who
had hard feelings in the past, I hope we can avoid injecting that in any
discussion.  We can agree to disagree and just move on to the next goal.
Past actions should not constrain us from future cooperation.

Heads up on status of AST and/or Heirloom tools in illumos would be great.

Thanks!

Sincerely yours,

Seth Nimbosa,
​
http://twitter.com/nimbosa
FB.com/nimbosa

* Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work*
*and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for -*

*in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car,and
the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.  *

  - Ellen Goodman