[oi-dev] OpenIndiana /hipster build number

Andrew M. Hettinger AHettinger at Prominic.NET
Thu Jan 16 18:49:05 UTC 2014

My biggest question is how and when do we move things from /hipster to a
testing repo (no non-bugfix changes) and from there to a release.

It would be nice if at the same time we made the "old" hipster repo the
"new" testing repo, give it a month, then duplicate it into stable.
(keeping the old one around for testing incase we catch any bugs later, but
before the new promotion)

Andrzej Szeszo <aszeszo at gmail.com> wrote on 01/16/2014 02:03:27:

> [...]
> >> shift.
> >
> > After creating new repo, we would upload modded pkg5 to the old repo.
> > It could emit a message with instructions on what to do to switch the
> > repos on "pkg update". Users would be expected to have their systems
> > fully upgraded before switching the repos. I don't think messing with
> > people's publisher configuration would be a good thing to do.
> >
> >> As for spped of operations on current repository, is it possible to
change
> >> "pkgrepo rebuild" to "pkgrepo refresh" in Jenkins build jobs? Is
> it safe? Is
> >> speedup significant?
> >
> > We are currently using old-school pkg.depotd --add-content whcih is
> > fairy quick (it takes minutes). pkg.depotd --rebuild takes 1-2h on the
> > current repo. Package server is running quite old version of pkg5. I
> > am not sure pkgrepo refresh is supported by it at all. Long term I
> > would like to server OI hipster package with newer pkg5 bits but
> > didn't have a chance to look at it yet.
> >
> >> Now, about versioning scheme.
> >> 1) I still don't see a clean way to downgrade package with proposed
> >> versioning scheme.
> >
> > I don't think it is possible to perform automatic downgrades with pkg5
> > in general. Not sure if anything has changed in this regard in the
> > updated pkg5 code.
> >
> >> 2) What is a policy for changing PKGREV_COMPONENT? I propose to set it
to 0
> >> by default and force people to increment it with every change in
> a component
> >> which affects its functionality (i.e., not just code cleanup). I
> would reset
> >> it to 0 with every package version bump (e.g. php 5.21=> php 5.22),
this
> >> will allow us to keep it sane. And I'm not sure that it is a good idea
> >> use it just to force package rebuild.
> >
> > I 100% agree with what you described.
> >
> >> 3) What will we do with illumos-gate updates? I mean, proposed
> scheme allows
> >> us to do it in a safe way. However, when build machine is
> updated, this will
> >> force illumos-gate packages update (and BE creation) on a user system
even
> >> if the user just wants to update, let's say, vim. And when you want
just
> >> install security update for php on a server it's a problem if doing so
> >> requires reboot (for BE activation).
> >> I see several oppotunities.
> >
> >> a) We say, that /hipster is a developer's OI version and it's enough
if it
> >> just will not allow user to update package to non-functioning state
(i.e.
> >> updating php 5.21 to 5.22 is not possible in the same BE if build
server
> >> updated illumos-gate-produced packages between times when php 5.21 and
5.22
> >> versions were built). It's not a perfect scenario, but I'm OK with it.
It's