[oi-dev] OpenIndiana /hipster build number

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Jan 16 19:47:37 UTC 2014

Andrew M. Hettinger писал 16.01.2014 22:49:
> My biggest question is how and when do we move things from /hipster to
> testing repo (no non-bugfix changes) and from there to a release.
>
> It would be nice if at the same time we made the "old" hipster repo the
> "new" testing repo, give it a month, then duplicate it into stable.
> (keeping the old one around for testing incase we catch any bugs later,
> but
> before the new promotion)

The first question is who is going to maintain "bugfix" branch? Even now
nobody watches CVE issues for software in /hipster.
For example, it seems that at least our dhcp and dns servers are
vulnerable (e.g, look at CVE-2014-0591).

The second question is if /hipster in a shape which can require only
"bugfix" changes.
Don't lie to itself, it's not ready to become "/stable". We even can't
build Hipster
from scratch now. I'd rather think  that perhaps Jon Tibble could
declare /dev new /stable,
but /dev also is not in  a  proper shape to become bugfix-only release
(In current state perhaps it would mean always-out-of-date release).
---