[oi-dev] Fwd: [developer] Please review 4989 - BIS

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue Jul 22 11:52:00 UTC 2014

On 07/22/2014 14:05, Nikola M. wrote:

>> First of all, sorry for replying late (I had some issues with
>> illumos-dev ML).
>> We have prepared for this change (I've prepared components for
>> ntfsprogs and parted). I'd like to mention that removing parted is a
>> bit unpleasant for us taking in consideration that current GNU parted
>> lacks Solaris/illumos support. So, we stay with just the same old bits
>> which currently are provided in illumos-gate. However, it's not
>> critical, as GParted is shipped only for user convenience on slim CD
>> and luckily is not used by the installer.
> Gparted IS critical for new users wanting to install new installations
> from Live CD on existing disk to dual-boot.
> We can not loose parted/gparted "just because".
>
> if it is part of illumos, maybe it could be moved to Openindiana then to
> maintain but i am asking, why would it be removed anyway?
>
> Will renewed ntfs-3g then be available in /sfe then? Since, without
> that, users would loose ntfs in OI,
> and that is unacceptable.

1) Gparted is not critical, because installer doesn't use it.
2) Do we have a lot of users installing OI on the same drive with
Windows? I don't believe so. In any case dual boot can be set up without
gparted / parted. The only case when it's very useful on install ISO is
when you would like to shrink your NTFS partition to install OI. Other
cases (like creating new partitions) are supported by the installer.
3) We can (and likely will) import parted into oi-userland if it is
dropped from illumos-gate. However, having noone interested (and having
skills) to support it, it is likely to rot there.
4) IIRC ntfs-3g doesn't depend on parted / ntfsprogs

As I've said, taking in consideration that upstream GNU parted is not
supported on illumos, dropping it from illumos-gate means it will die
faster. Of course I'd prefer someone to port fresh GNU parted to
oi-userland, as I lack skills and time to do it myself. But once again -
loosing parted/GParted IMHO is not critical for OI.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,