[oi-dev] Fwd: [developer] Please review 4989 - BIS

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:05:33 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 08:13 AM, Alexander Pyhalov via illumos-developer wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 23:45, Piotr Jasiukajtis via oi-dev wrote:
>>>
>>> Is anyone from OI/hipster here who can speak for their readiness?
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek
>>> <jeffpc at josefsipek.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless there's something hiding off in a corner of the gate, it LGTM.
>>>

> First of all, sorry for replying late (I had some issues with
> illumos-dev ML).
> We have prepared for this change (I've prepared components for
> ntfsprogs and parted). I'd like to mention that removing parted is a
> bit unpleasant for us taking in consideration that current GNU parted
> lacks Solaris/illumos support. So, we stay with just the same old bits
> which currently are provided in illumos-gate. However, it's not
> critical, as GParted is shipped only for user convenience on slim CD
> and luckily is not used by the installer.
Gparted IS critical for new users wanting to install new installations
from Live CD on existing disk to dual-boot.
We can not loose parted/gparted "just because".

if it is part of illumos, maybe it could be moved to Openindiana then to
maintain but i am asking, why would it be removed anyway?

Will renewed ntfs-3g then be available in /sfe then? Since, without
that, users would loose ntfs in OI,
and that is unacceptable.