[oi-dev] 2837 - remove print/lp* from gate and use CUPS from userland

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue May 6 07:48:11 UTC 2014

Hello.

When I tried to rebuild apache 1.3 again I found out that mod_ssl
doesn't like OpenSSL 1.0.
Of course, I could look at it and try update it, but does someone really
use apache 1.3?
Now it's only used as illumos-gate build dependency.

Last time the question of removing print/lp* from the gate was rejected
partially because cups didn't provide trusted printing support.
Our (OI /hipster) version of cups has TX patches. However, I haven't
checked that it works.
As I understand, most distributions have already stripped this code.
Isn't it a good time to reconsider the question - either update
dependency to apache 2 or remove it?
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,