[oi-dev] 2837 - remove print/lp* from gate and use CUPS from userland

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:02:41 UTC 2014

Not that I have a lot of say in the matter, but my feeling is that Apache
1.3 though should go away even if that means that the print/lp stack goes
away.

The Apache Foundation tell people not to use their v1 server ... 2.0.64 is
their "Legacy" version

While on Solaris 10 I'm a big consumer of the old lp system, on my Illumos
boxes they all use CUPS, which is a lot nicer to talk to when combined with
Samba.

print/lp is easy to manipulate at the command prompt over slow connections,
CUPS is easy to manipulate in a web browser ... I am having trouble
teaching the "new" kids to do it at the prompt, it's easier to teach them
the one in the browser anyway.

Just my 2Cents.

Jon