[oi-dev] [developer] 2837 - remove print/lp* from gate and use CUPS from userland

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:43:54 UTC 2014

What part of the lp stack actually uses apache? I suspect it's only
ipp, mod_ipp specifically, and that the rest of the lp stack
has no dependency at all. I would be perfectly happy to see
all the ipp stuff ripped out (I've never used it, and my understanding
is that CUPS provides a much better implementation anyway)
especially if it allows us to eradicate apache-13. However., I'm not
sure that this extends to the rest of the legacy lp stack.

The argument that legacy stuff could simply be dropped off to one
side in a legacy repo would be far stronger if we actually had
such a repo in place. I regard creating that infrastructure as a
necessary prerequisite to any significant pruning of the codebase.

(Although I'm not sure it needs a full-blown repo. Tarballs of the
source that's ripped out, placed in a well-known location, ought
to be adequate.)

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Garrett D'Amore <developer at lists.illumos.org
> wrote:

> I'd love to see it go.  But I will wait for others to complain first.
>
> One idea would be to eject it from the gate and put it into a new repo
> where it could also be updated if people still want it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 6, 2014, at 12:48 AM, "Alexander Pyhalov" <
> developer at lists.illumos.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > When I tried to rebuild apache 1.3 again I found out that mod_ssl
> doesn't like OpenSSL 1.0.
> > Of course, I could look at it and try update it, but does someone really
> use apache 1.3?
> > Now it's only used as illumos-gate build dependency.
> >
> > Last time the question of removing print/lp* from the gate was rejected
> partially because cups didn't provide trusted printing support.
> > Our (OI /hipster) version of cups has TX patches. However, I haven't
> checked that it works.
> > As I understand, most distributions have already stripped this code.
> Isn't it a good time to reconsider the question - either update dependency
> to apache 2 or remove it?
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Alexander Pyhalov,
> > system administrator of Computer Center of Southern Federal University

-Peter Tribble