[oi-dev] [developer] 2837 - remove print/lp* from gate and use CUPS from userland

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 15:19:34 UTC 2014

I'd be *really* annoyed if command line printing went away.  I don't care if it's lpd or lpr, but I work mostly in text mode using a stack of xterms, one per work project.   So having to start up a GUI window to print  could easily get annoying.  I use a2ps to format stuff to feed to lp.

On a separate subject:

WHO ADMINISTERS THE OI MAILING LISTS?  HOW CAN I CONTACT THEM?

Posting anything to the OI lists will cause me to get dropped because of bounces resulting from the yahoo DMARC policy.  I had Klimov post to the "discuss" list about this and I've emailed the list admins, but without any response.  The Illumos lists have fixed the problem, so it's not that difficult.

 What
 part of the lp stack actually uses apache? I suspect
 it's only
 ipp, mod_ipp
 specifically, and that the rest of the lp stack
 has no dependency at all. I would be
 perfectly happy to see

 all the ipp stuff ripped out (I've never used
 it, and my understanding
 is that
 CUPS provides a much better implementation anyway)
 especially if it allows us to
 eradicate apache-13. However., I'm not

 sure that this extends to the rest of the legacy lp
 stack.

 The
 argument that legacy stuff could simply be dropped off to
 one
 side in a legacy repo would
 be far stronger if we actually had

 such a repo in place. I regard creating that
 infrastructure as a
 necessary
 prerequisite to any significant pruning of the codebase.

 (Although I'm
 not sure it needs a full-blown repo. Tarballs of the

 source that's ripped out, placed in a well-known
 location, ought
 to be adequate.)

 On Tue,
 May 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Garrett D'Amore <developer at lists.illumos.org>